Wednesday's ETF Winners & Losers
Housing- and real estate-related exchange-traded funds were surging during Wednesday's winning session, one day after the Federal Reserve said that the correction in housing is ongoing but that the economy is likely to expand at a moderate pace.
The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Home Construction (ITB) was rising $2.07, or 7.8%, to $28.63. The Ultra Real Estate ProShares (URE) climbed $2.42, or 5.7%, to $45.22. The SPDR S&P Homebuilders (XHB) was adding $1.54, or 5.9%, to $27.87.
Bundled securities tracking Asian markets were also jumping after several indices gained ground overnight. Hong Kong's Hang Sang rose 2.9%, the Nikkei Index added 0.6% and Tokyo's Topix Index gained 0.5%.The iShares FTSE/Xinhua China 25 Index (FXI) was gaining $5.87, or 4.5%, to $136.14. The iShares MSCI Singapore Index (EWS) was higher by 59 cents, or 4.6%, to $13.50. The SPDR S&P China (GXC) was recently up $3.08, or 4.5%, at $71.56. ETFs tracking regional banks were notching another strong session. Among individual names, Washington Mutual (WM), Valley National Bancorp (VLY), Colonial Bancgroup (CNB) and PNC Financial Services (PNC) were all gaining 3% or more. The KBW Regional Banking (KRE) ETF was higher by $1.75, or 4.1%, to $44.50. The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Regional Banks (IAT) added $1.04, or 2.3%, to $47.25. On the other hand, bundled securities following U.S. Treasuries were among the few losers of the day, as traders made their way out of bonds and back into equities. The 10-year note was down 18/32 in price, yielding 4.84%, and the 30-year bond was tumbling 1 1/32, yielding 5.00%. The iShares Lehman 20+ Year Treasury Bond (TLT) was down 91 cents, or 1%, to $86.31. The iShares Lehman 7-10 Year Treasury Bond (IEF) fell by 50 cents, or 0.6%, to $81.80. The SPDR Lehman Long Term Treasury (TLO) was lower 27 cents, or 0.5%, to $50.48.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV