Luminent Gets Default Notices
Luminent Mortgage Capital (LUM) plunged for the second time in a week after the struggling lender got notices of default from two lenders.
The San Francisco-based mortgage company said in a statement that it "is continuing to vigorously explore all of its alternatives with respect to its sudden liquidity issues resulting from the unanticipated and extraordinary disruptions in the secondary mortgage and national real estate markets."
Luminent has been hard hit by margin calls from lenders requesting additional collateral. The company's shares dropped 31 cents to 77 cents Wednesday, two days after they dropped three-quarters of their value in a single day.
That plunge came after the company suspended its dividend. Luminent had said just a week earlier that its quarterly dividend payment of 32 cents a share was "secure" and "will not be canceled."The default comes just days after the collapse of another lender, American Home Mortgage (AHM) of Melville, N.Y., which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection after being hit by the collapse of the market for mortgage securities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV