O.J. Simpson to Forfeit Take-Two Game Proceeds
A Los Angeles court is making O.J. Simpson pay up for being part of Take-Two Interactive's (TTWO) latest football video game.
The Los Angeles County Superior Court has ordered Simpson to turn over any royalties and licensing fees earned from the use of his likeness in Take-Two's All Pro Football 2K8 to the estate of murder victim Ron Goldman, according to a report from Reuters.
All Pro Football 2K8 features former football legends, including Simpson.
The game has caught heat for giving users the option to put Simpson on a team called "The Assassins." When Simpson scores a touchdown as a member of the Assassins team, a hooded mascot above the scoreboard make stabbing motions with a large knife.Take-Two has said the knife motion is "not specifically associated with O.J. Simpson, and the game does not promote any such connection." Simpson will now have to turn over copies of his Take-Two contract and related financial documents, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Gerald Rosenberg has ordered. The decision comes after the family of Ron Goldman filed a court order to seize any financial gain that Simpson may have bagged from being a part of the game. The Goldman family has won a $33.5 million judgment against Simpson as part of a wrongful death suit. Simpson was acquitted of the murders of his former wife, Nicole Brown and Goldman, in 1995; two years later, a civil jury found him liable for the wrongful death of Goldman.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV