Tuesday's Health Winners & Losers
Inverness Medical Innovations (IMA) launched a smaller health stock on acquisition news, while other stocks in the sector high-stepped through Tuesday on favorable earnings.
Inverness said Tuesday that it's acquiring HemoSense (HEM), which makes handheld blood coagulation monitoring systems for patients taking anticoagulant warfarin, in an all-stock deal. Each share of HemoSense common stock will be reimbursed with 0.274192 shares of Inverness common stock, which the companies said represents a 37.5% premium based on the average trading prices of both companies over the last five trading days.
HemoSense bolted $2.68, or 29%, to $11.95, and Inverness gave up 98 cents, or 2.1%, to $45.46.
In earnings news, biopharmaceutical company Acadia (ACAD) reported a net loss of $10.8 million, or 29 cents a share, compared to a loss of $11.9 million, or 43 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial had expected a loss of 39 cents a share. Acadia gained $1.31, or 8.7%, to $16.56.Also, Mentor's (MNT) shares perked up from quarterly earnings supported by robust sales of its MemoryGel breast implants. Shares added $6.27, or 15.3%, to $47.26.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV