Microsoft Pares Down Xbox 360 Price
Sony's recent price cut also takes a little wind out of Microsoft's announcement, says Pachter. "Now that the PS3 is $100 cheaper, a $20-to-$50 cut on the Xbox 360 may have a lesser impact than it would have in a vacuum," he says.
Microsoft is also fighting the perception by consumers that they could be buying a flawed device. In June, the company said it will take a pretax charge of up to $1.15 billion to extend its one-year warranty to three years to cover a hardware problem.
But the company never explained exactly what went wrong with the faulty consoles.
"Since Microsoft never quite explained the design flaw, it is not clear to consumers whether they are buying a box built before the design flaw was fixed," says Pachter. "That could dampen the amount of increase in demand."Meanwhile, the price cut is unlikely to affect the profitability of the company's entertainment devices division, say analysts. "With this price cut, I think it is a combination of production efficiencies and the need to stay ahead of competitors," says Brian O'Rourke, senior analyst with research firm In-Stat.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV