Microsoft Pares Down Xbox 360 Price
Sony's recent price cut also takes a little wind out of Microsoft's announcement, says Pachter. "Now that the PS3 is $100 cheaper, a $20-to-$50 cut on the Xbox 360 may have a lesser impact than it would have in a vacuum," he says.
Microsoft is also fighting the perception by consumers that they could be buying a flawed device. In June, the company said it
But the company never explained exactly what went wrong with the faulty consoles.
"Since Microsoft never quite explained the design flaw, it is not clear to consumers whether they are buying a box built before the design flaw was fixed," says Pachter. "That could dampen the amount of increase in demand."Meanwhile, the price cut is unlikely to affect the profitability of the company's entertainment devices division, say analysts. "With this price cut, I think it is a combination of production efficiencies and the need to stay ahead of competitors," says Brian O'Rourke, senior analyst with research firm In-Stat.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV