Microsoft Pares Down Xbox 360 Price
In order to keep console sales strong headed into the holiday season, Microsoft had no choice but to drop the price, says Matt Rosoff, an analyst with independent Microsoft-focused research firm, Directions on Microsoft.
Microsoft sold fewer consoles than expected in its last fiscal year, shipping 11.6 million systems at the end of June 30, instead of its scaled down expectations of 12 million consoles. At the beginning of the fiscal year, Microsoft had said it could sell as many as 13 million to 15 million systems.
"This is a crucial season for Microsoft. If you look at sales of Xbox 360 since the PS3 and Wii there has been a definite slowdown," says Rosoff. "But now that the core system is priced fairly close to the Wii, and the console has the strongest lineup of games." The Wii retails for $249.99.
Sony sold 98,469 PS3s
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV