Microsoft Pares Down Xbox 360 Price
SAN FRANCISCO -- Microsoft (MSFT) shaved $50 off the price of the Xbox 360 in a move to spur sales of its two-year old video game console.
With cutthroat competition among console makers, Microsoft needs to entice potential customers as its rivals move aggressively to stay ahead.
Microsoft's price cut on the Xbox 360, beginning Wednesday, as well as a slew of game releases in the next few months for the console, including Electronic Arts' (ERTS) hit football title, Madden NFL 08, Halo 3 and Activision's (ATVI) Guitar Hero III, should keep gamers interested.Microsoft said the Xbox 360 -- with a 20GB hard drive, wireless controller and headset -- will now sell for $349.99. The Xbox 360 Core System has been priced $20 lower at $279.99 and the Xbox 360 Elite, with a 120-GB hard drive, will be sold at $449.99 -- a discount of $30. Sales of Xbox 360 could jump up by as much as 35% to 50% estimates Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Morgan, which does not own shares or have an investment banking relationship with Microsoft. Shares of Microsoft were down 20 cents, or 0.6% to $29.34 in recent trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV