Being Disorganized Is Costing You Money
While organization may not be at the top of your mind when it comes to personal finances, a lack of it could have a direct impact on your wallet.
For many people, being disorganized can lead to real-life costs, including missed opportunities and deadlines and wasted time. Here are some examples of how being disorganized can cost you money:
1. Missed payments: A bill or credit card payment can easily be put aside and forgotten until the due date passes. Not only will this cost you late charges, it can also trigger universal default on your credit cards that instantly raises their interest rates to the most expensive levels.
2. Overdrawing accounts: If you don't know how much money is in your checking or savings account because you haven't balanced either recently, you increase the chances of accidentally overdrawing one of the accounts and having to pay overdraft fees.3. Frequent ATM stops: Knowing the amount of money that you will need during the week or on a particular day will help ensure that you have enough on you when you go about your daily activities. If you don't, you are much more likely to have to stop at an ATM that is not part of your bank's network -- which will mean paying fees for taking out your own money. Get your personal finances in order with the help of TheStreet.com's New Calculators. 4. Missed opportunities: Knowing what you are going to need in the future gives you time to research and find the best price on the item. If you are forced to purchase something at the last minute, chances are you will pay a lot more for it. If you plan ahead knowing that you need a new barbeque for the summer, you can look for a good deal and likely get it on sale. But if you end up realizing you need a barbeque a few days before a party, you are going to have to pay whatever the current price is at your local retailer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV