Monday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks spent most of their time in negative territory Monday as they scraped under the broad indices, but the sector caught up to burst into the green late in the trading day.
One of the biggest winners was GigaBeam (GGBM), which soared some 21% on Friday's postclose announcement that a "key reseller" for the Saudi Arabian government had ordered two of its WiFiber links. Financial terms weren't disclosed. Shares of the Durham, N.C., firm were up 91 cents to $5.26.
Coast Bank of Florida (CFHI) catapulted 27.2% after First Banks agreed to buy it for around $3.40 a share in cash, a price that represents a 49.1% premium to the stock's Friday closing price. The $22.1 million deal will likely close in the fourth quarter. Shares were changing hands at $2.90.
Almost Family (AFAM), meanwhile, jumped 10.1% to $17.82 on positive second-quarter results. The Louisville, Ky., home-nursing-services company more than doubled its continuing-operations income from last year to $2 million, or 35 cents a share, on revenue that surged 51.8% to $32.7 million.On the downswing today, however, was drugmaker Santarus (SNTS). The San Diego-based company sharply narrowed its loss to 25 cents a share -- 6 cents better than Thomson Financial's targets -- but also rescinded its 2008 revenue guidance, which had predicted revenue of more than $200 million. The company also expects a net loss for that year, and pegged 2007 revenue at a below-par range of $90 million to $95 million. Shares surrendered $1.36, or 26.4%, to $3.80.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV