Monday's Health Winners & Losers
The Food and Drug Administration gave Pfizer's (PFE) HIV drug its blessing Monday while rumors of good data lifted another health stock.
The FDA granted accelerated approval to Pfizer's Selzentry tablets for HIV based on 24-week data. The drug is the first in a class (called CCR5 antagonists) that stop the R5 virus on the outside surface of cells before it enters, rather than fighting the virus inside as do all other classes of oral HIV medicines, according the company.
"The approval of Selzentry for treatment-experienced patients is a significant breakthrough, and we continue its development in a spectrum of other patients living with HIV/AIDS," said Joseph Feczko, Pfizer's chief medical officer. Selzentry is expected to be available in the U.S. by the middle of September. The company recently received a positive opinion from the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use in the EU, and plans to commercialize it as Celsentri outside of the U.S. The stock was up 54 cents, or 2.3%, at $24.05.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals (VRTX) gained $2.92, or 8.8%, to $36.14 after analysts at Leerink Swann & Co. issued a note indicating a favorable outlook for interim data from the PROVE-1 study of Telaprevir in Hepatitis C patients. The analysts also said that management comments suggest the key clinical data from PROVE-1 will be presented at the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases meeting in November and not the Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy in September.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV