Is Electronic Trading Adding to the Carnage?
Investors have shed few tears over the demise of the specialist firms that handled trades on the NYSE floor.
But that has started to change with this summer's market swoon.
Decimalization and the rise of electronic trading have conspired to shrink the ranks of the middlemen who are known as specialists at the New York Stock Exchange and market makers in over-the-counter trading. Many people applauded the shift, believing these so-called buyers of last resort were more apt to take advantage of investors than to maintain "fair and orderly" markets.
But the wild trading of recent weeks has some market players reconsidering that position -- and raising other questions about the recent explosion of electronic trading volumes.Take Wednesday's dramatic moves in Beazer Homes (BZH). The Atlanta-based homebuilder's shares fell as much as 42% at one point on rumors the company was facing bankruptcy. Beazer denied the rumors at midday and its stock recovered some losses, though it still shed 18% on the day. (On Wednesday, Beazer shares jumped 14% to $13.04, aided by news
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV