Wednesday's Late Winners & Losers
The Seattle-based coffee chain said it made $158.3 million, or 21 cents a share, vs. 18 cents a share last year. Same-store sales were up 4% and total revenue, at $2.36 billion, was just under consensus. Shares climbed 70 cents to $27.90.
Joining Starbucks in the green was Sirenza Microdevices (SMDI). The Colorado semiconductor maker reported pro forma earnings of 17 cents a share in the second quarter. That beat the comparable period last year by a penny and the average analyst estimate by 3 cents, according to Thomson Financial. Shares jumped $1.08, or 9.7%, to $12.20.
California's Invitrogen (IVGN), meanwhile, bounced 7% to $76, after careening past Wall Street expectations with continuing-operations income of $1.15 a share. Analysts were looking for 76 cents a share.Among those on the downswing, however, was California-based semiconductor concern Atmel (ATML). The company broke even with a $678,000 profit in the second quarter on sales of $404.2 million. Analysts were looking for penny-a-share income on $402.6 million in sales. Shares were off 1.9% to $5.20. Elsewhere, CompuCredit (CCRT), based in Atlanta, was shedding 3.2% to $24.50 after swinging to a second-quarter loss. The company lost $11 million, or 23 cents a share, compared to a profit of $28.3 million, or 56 cents a share in the year-ago period. And video-game developer Electronic Arts (ERTS) saw jumpy trading on a widening non-GAAP loss of $69 million, or 22 cents a share, in the fiscal first quarter. That tops estimates, but the California-based company also pegged next-quarter non-GAAP income at 10 cents to 20 cents a share -- at least 13 cents below estimates. Shares fell after-hours before recently adding 10 cents to $48.20.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV