Don't Give Up on Spectrum Pharma
On Wall Street, as in life, innocent bystanders sometimes get hurt.
Last week, another company's screw-up cost Spectrum Pharmaceuticals (SPPI) dearly.
Spectrum shares are off 45% since July 20, when a negative Food and Drug Administration review of the prostate cancer drug satraplatin was made public. Four days later, an FDA advisory panel voted to recommend that regulators
Spectrum shares closed Wednesday at $3.65, down 12 cents, or 3.2%.The satraplatin debacle is a frustrating setback for Spectrum, because while the company has an economic interest in the drug, it doesn't control its development. Spectrum licensed the drug to German drugmaker GPC Biotech (GPCB) years ago, and GPC was responsible for clinical testing and submitting the approval package with the FDA. As many investors learned painfully last week, GPC's efforts in this regard were woefully inadequate and, dare I say, misleading to many of us who have followed satraplatin. Unfortunately, Spectrum is caught in the crosshairs. Its deal with GPC calls for the company to receive royalties on worldwide satraplatin sales. But now, U.S. approval of the drug looks dicey, and European approval isn't a sure thing either. So what to do with Spectrum? The stock was -- and continues to be -- in my biotech model portfolio. The sharp drop in market cap is painful, but I continue to like the company's prospects, especially its experimental drug ozarelix.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV