Loss Widens at Electronic Arts
Updated from 5:05 p.m. EDT
Video game publisher Electronic Arts (ERTS) posted weak revenue and a wider loss in the first quarter and guided below analysts' expectations for the second quarter.
The company's loss was $132 million, or 42 cents a share, compared with a loss of $81 million, or 26 cents a share, a year earlier.
Excluding charges, the company posted a loss of 22 cents a share. On that basis, it beat Thomson First Call estimates of a loss of 35 cents a share.Revenue fell 4% to $395 million. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were expecting revenue of $385.9 million. Beginning this quarter, EA said it won't charge for hosting services for some of its online packaged goods games and will instead start recognizing revenue from the sale of these games over the hosting service period. The change will result in a $36 million sequential increase as of June 30 in deferred net revenue, which will be recognized in future quarters. The move has "materially impacted" the company's results, said EA. Shares of Electronic Arts were off 23 cents, or 0.4%, to $47.87 in recent after-hours trading. EA said it will launch 10 new games this fiscal year, including Boogie, EA Playground, Army of Two, Skate, Warhammer Online, The Simpsons Game, Smarty Pants, a yet to be named game for Nintendo's Wii that EA is jointly developing with Steven Spielberg, Rock Band and Crysis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV