Wednesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks were webbed into the erratic movements of the major indices Wednesday, even amid a confluence of positive financials from names like Dawson Geophysical (DWSN).
Shares of the Texas-based company soared 22.3% to $66.79 on a leaping fiscal third-quarter profit of $7.6 million, or 98 cents a share. Year-ago income totaled just 56 cents a share. The company, a purveyor of seismic-data-acquisition services for oil and gas companies, also brought in $68.6 million in revenue to beat the sole analyst's $56.9 million target from Thomson Financial.
Giga-tronics (GIGA), which makes test and measurement equipment, catapulted 21% after swinging to a fiscal first-quarter profit of $92,000, or 2 cents a share. Sales ramped up 36.7% to $4.6 million from last year. Shares of the San Ramon, Calif., company were trading at $2.25.
Chicago software firm SPSS (SPSS) tripled its second-quarter income year over year to 36 cents a share, or 3 cents better than the mean Street forecast, and fellow tech name Syniverse (SVR) comfortably topped top- and bottom-line expectations. Florida-based Syniverse, a purveyor of services for the wireless industry, also bumped up its 2007 sales outlook by at least $10 million to range between $345 million and $350 million. Analysts are seeking $335.5 million.SPSS jumped $6.50, or 15.8%, to $47.54; Syniverse was up 9.3% at $14.70.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV