Housing Top Was Sweet for KB Home Pair
Do the math. When you take away the cost of exercising his options in the first place, Mezger walked away with a profit of $23.8 million. If he had waited until today to sell his shares, he would have collected just $7.2 million. As for Karatz, he pocketed $63.6 million. Had he waited until now to sell the shares, the figure would just be $17.6 million.
In the spring and early summer of 2005, the standard line out of the real estate industry and out of Wall Street was that the boom would continue. Demand will continue to surge, went the argument, thanks to low interest rates and a strong economy.Guess what? Long-term interest rates have stayed pretty low. The economy has remained strong. Employment is up. And, last I checked, people still like to live in good homes. Yet the market has crashed anyway. The reason isn't hard to find. House prices were just way too high -- especially when measured against long-term metrics like average household earnings. Price matters.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV