Housing Top Was Sweet for KB Home Pair
Karatz went on CNBC to dismiss talk of a housing bubble. How long could the "near perfect" market continue, his host asked? "Well, I think it can last a lot longer than the skeptics believe," he replied. Karatz predicted strong demand would continue as new migrants flooded into the booming areas in the South and West. He noted that interest rates remained favorable.
"I think the combination of those two factors make for a very good picture for homebuilders for the foreseeable future," he declared.
For good measure, he also dismissed suggestions that his company, and others, were building too many homes. "We're talking about a relatively small percentage increase over what happened 15 years ago, when our population was much smaller."
Karatz also went to a Reuters real estate conference in New York, and calmed the fears of anyone worried about all the subprime lending and adjustable-rate mortgages behind the market. Most people taking out ARMs are "capable buyers," he told the conference. And of all those using ARMs simply to increase their leverage, he added: "I'm not quick to say it's imprudent."Ouch. KB Home shares responded to all the great news, soaring above $80 in July. What's interesting, though, is how Karatz and Mezger, his chief operating officer at the time, were acting. While Wall Street bulls were bidding up their stock, they were taking profits. On July 7 and July 8, 2005, Mezger exercised 369,292 share options and then sold the shares at an average price of around $77. And a week later, Karatz did the same with 950,000 options, getting an average price of just over $80.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV