Housing Top Was Sweet for KB Home Pair
As the housing market slumps, few companies are suffering as badly as KB Home (KBH).
The homebuilder specializes in the Southern and Southwestern markets, where the pain is the worst. It recently reported a $172 million quarterly loss from continuing operations, as sales collapsed by a third. And, as we know, the results are similar across the real estate sector and, now, the mortgage business.
KB Home stock has been in free fall for most of the year, plunging roughly 40% since January, trading recently on Wednesday down 2.5% to $31.01.
Cashing out at the top is nothing new for insiders in the hard-hit homebuilder sector, as investors in Toll Brothers (TOL) can attest. Combine the problems in that sector with the recent meltdown of mortgage companies exposed to subprime loan defaults and you have a whole lot of pain to go around in the housing industry.The beating continued for the homebuilders today, as shares of Beazer Homes (BZH) were punished on rumors that the company was filing for bankruptcy. Beazer called the rumors "scurrilous and unfounded." Beazer fell as much as 42% before recovering, and was recently down 14% to $12.01. Shares of other homebuilders also were sliding Wednesday. Hovnanian (HOV) was down 9.3%, to $12, Toll Brothers was down 2.3% to $21.43, and Lennar (LEN) slid 2.3% to $29.81. And what's worse than losing a fortune on these shares? Knowing you bought them at the peak of the market -- possibly from the CEO himself.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV