Friday's ETF Winners & Losers
Exchanged-traded funds related to the oil sector were among the few winners of a losing session Friday, as crude prices were on the march.
The front-month September crude contract was up $1.20 at $76.15 a barrel. The iPath S&P GSCI Crude Oil Index (OIL) was adding 46 cents, or 1.1%, to $41.76. The United States Oil (USO) ETF was up 71 cents, or 1.3%, to $56.93. The PowerShares DB Oil (DBO) was higher by 35 cents, or 1.3%, to $27.54.
The losers far outweighed the winners, led by declines in health and pharmaceutical ETFs. Amgen (AMGN), which beat Wall Street's target for second-quarter earnings, was nonetheless down 1.4%. Among other names, Merck (MRK), Forest Labs (FRX) and Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) were losing 1.9% or more.
The HealthShares European Drugs (HRJ) was losing 97 cents, or 3.7%, to $25.61. The SPDR S&P Pharmaceuticals (XPH) was down 77 cents, or 2.2%, to $33.64. The PowerShares Dynamic Pharmaceuticals (PJP) was falling by 40 cents, or 2.1%, to $18.45.Basic materials-related bundled securities were also lower. Among individual stocks, Weyerhaeuser (WY), Dow Chemical (DOW) and Freeport-McMoRan (FCX) slumped 1.8% or more. The Ultra Basic Materials ProShares (UYM) dropped $3.61, or 4.2%, to $82. The WisdomTree International Basic Materials (DBN) ETF was down $1.12, or 3.1%, to $35.23. The Materials Select Sector SPDR (XLB) was losing 90 cents, or 2.3%, to $38.93. The Internet Infrastructure HOLDRs (IIH) was also hit hard, as holdings Akamai Technologies (AKAM), NaviSite (NAVI) and VeriSign (VRSN) fell 3% or more. The ETF was losing 11 cents, or 2.1%, to $5.13.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV