Thursday's ETF Winners & Losers
Bundled securities following U.S. Treasuries were among few winners of a weak session Thursday, as traders made a flight to quality from falling equities into bonds.
The 10-year note was rallying 27/32 in price, yielding 4.79%, and the 30-year bond was higher by 1 3/32, yielding 4.95%.
The iShares Lehman 20+ Year Treasury Bond (TLT) was adding 97 cents, or 1.1%, to $87.28. The SPDR Lehman Long Term Treasury (TLO) was higher by 45 cents, or 0.9%, to $50.61. The iShares Lehman 10-20 Year Treasury Bond (TLH) was up 75 cents, or 0.8%, to $99.45.
Nearly every other sector-related ETF was trading lower, particularly basic-materials-related funds. Among individual stocks, Alcoa (AA), Dow Chemical (DOW) and Freeport-McMoRan (FCX) slumped 5% or more.The Ultra Basic Materials ProShares (UYM) dropped $8.27, or 8.9%, to $84.31. The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Basic Materials (IYM) was down $2.92, or 4.1%, to $68.74. The Vanguard Materials (VAW) ETF was shedding $3.39, or 4%, to $82.53. The Materials Select Sector SPDR (XLB) was losing $1.56, or 3.8%, to $39.64. The Internet Infrastructure HOLDRs (IIH) was also hit hard, as holding Akamai Technologies (AKAM) plummeted 20% after being downgraded by three firms a day after reporting earnings in line with analysts estimates and beating revenue expectations. The ETF was losing 39 cents, or 7%, to $5.19. Utility-related ETFs were also getting crushed. Among individual names, Exelon (EXC), Entergy (ETR), and Public Service Enterprise Group (PEG) were all losing at least 3%. The Ultra Utilities ProShares (UPW) was dropping $4.67, or 5.9%, to $74.92. The Utilities Select Sector SPDR (XLU) shed $1.07, or 2.7%, to $38.53. The Utilities HOLDRs (UTH) was down $3.77, or 2.7%, to $138.52.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV