- Soft goods with good growth overseas. Pepsi's(PEP - Get Report) now the best. Colgate(CL), after the quarter. I like Clorox(CLX). Kimberly-Clark's(KMB) now good.
- Machinery, metal and mining stocks, the infrastructure you need to take advantage of them -- and what transports them to overseas. I don't include coal because the green movement has stopped it for now and the government has given up supporting coal -- at least, until it realizes it has no choice. Caterpillar's(CAT - Get Report) right again. Foster Wheeler(FWLT) on a pullback, KBR(KBR) on a pullback, McDermott(MDR) after the quarter, Fluor(FLR), CB&I(CBI), Jacobs(JEC), Manitowoc(MTW), Terex(TEX).
- Oil -- but not gas, unless we get some sort of disruption of supply for the latter. Extracting oil anywhere but North America is the strongest area, followed by the integrated oils. Will natural gas come back? Everything will come back, but this is a checklist of what can be bought now. Transocean(RIG) on a pullback, Halliburton(HAL) on a pullback, Schlumberger(SLB) on a pullback, Conoco(COP) and Chevron(CVX) now. XTO(XTO) for those willing to wait, as this one is the best wildcatters in the world. Apache's(APA) good too.
- Tech that's international that does well as part of the back-to-school and holiday buildup. Dell(DELL), Hewlett-Packard(HPQ - Get Report), Texas Instruments(TXN), Adobe(ADBE) all good.
- Drugs that do lots of business overseas. Merck(MRK), Schering(SGP) and Lilly(LLY) all good.
- Health care cost containment. Think Medco(MHS) and CVS(CVS).
- Aerospace and defense. Aerospace because demand is international with a new product cycle, and defense because we now know the war drags on, no matter what. Alliant Tech(ATK) is the best there, now that we have seen Lockheed Martin(LMT). I would still buy Lockheed and L-3(LLL) and Raytheon(RTN). Boeing(BA) works. So does Riverbed(RVBD).
- The Web. Google's(GOOG) been punished long enough. Growth is too great. Omniture(OMTR) and Level 3(LVLT) are the preferred specs.
- Ag. Be careful about a robust corn crop, but this works into the election. Deere(DE), Bunge(BG), Monsanto(MON - Get Report).
- Telco infrastructure. They need to build. They can't help it. They have starved their infrastructure -- check
Noah Blackstein's excellent piece from Tuesday. Cisco(CSCO), Ciena(CIEN), Juniper(JNPR) and even Sycamore(SCMR) (that's how strong this is now).
Cramer: What's Working Now, and What Isn't
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.