Two ETFs to Short, and Two to Buy
With all the flaming red arrows arching across Wall Street on Tuesday, stocks remain on fire. But whether it is a fire sale on exchange-traded funds or a forest fire, where good funds get scorched along with the bad ones, remains to be seen.
With the Dow Jones Industrial Average swooning 226 points yesterday, what was once a resistance level on the way up -- 13,690 points -- is now acting as an important level of support. The bulls and bears have drawn the line in the sand and are fighting it out.
Either way the overall market goes, the resulting volatility this summer opens trading opportunities to either sell short or to go long.
Technically bearish ETFs have a five-day moving average share price below their 10-day moving average share price, with a moving average convergence-divergence indicator giving a fresh sell signal within the last 10 days. The convergence-divergence indicator, created by Gerald Appel, uses exponential moving averages to find turning points in the price movements of securities.ETFs that are considered technically bullish are the complete opposite. They have a five-day moving average above their 10-day moving average and a convergence-divergence indicator giving a fresh buy signal within the last 10 days. They must also have set a new 52-week high in the last five trading days. Here are four trading ideas. The first two are poor performers that have bucked the major upward trend of the market over the last few months but are gapped lower as the market's short-term direction turns south. Both are giving technically bearish signals.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV