Five Things Every Investor Should Know About Index Futures
Dividends: The current dividend
- Dividends are distributed on a continuing
amortizedbasis. That is to say that the 2% dividend will be earned evenly each and every day over the next 365 days.
- Dividend rates are fixed, and companies will not increase or cut dividends at any time.
In these simple terms, you can now calculate the fair value of the SPX index futures contract. If you bought the SPX today, you would pay $1,600 for the purchase, incur $24 in interest charges and earn $8 of dividends. Your net cost would be $1,616 ($1,600 plus $24 minus $8). Again, it probably wouldn't make much difference to you whether you bought the SPX at $1,600 today or bought a futures contract to buy the index at $1,616 in three months.
Of course, things are not that simple in the real world. Consider these points:
- Interest rates vary from individual to individual and institution to institution.
- Dividends are not constant. Companies will pay dividends on any day they choose. Some companies pay quarterly, while others pay on an annual basis.
- Dividends are not certain. Companies can raise, lower or omit dividends.
The above shifts are factored in by market participants to arrive at a fair value for the index futures. Understanding this, you can now determine whether the futures are priced for a market move, and if so, the direction of the move, as well as the extent to which the futures are mispriced relative to the underlying cash index.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV