Five Things Every Investor Should Know About Index Futures
Opening indications for the stock market are frequently dictated by futures activity, which takes place after the prior trading day's close or overnight through early morning, before the new markets open.
The futures market is the quickest and easiest way for large asset managers (see portfolio manager ) and speculators to react to an event, such as a Federal Open Market Committee statement, a company report that significantly beats or misses earnings estimates (see earnings surprise ), a tragedy or some other major occurrence.
For these reasons, as an individual investor, you need to be more aware of the futures markets.In the early to mid-1980s, working at Morgan Stanley (MS), I was involved with the equity index arbitrage business while it was in its infancy, so I have a great deal of experience in futures. I thought that I would use this installment of "The Finance Professor" to describe five ways to better understand what index futures and index arbitrage are and how these futures can affect you. 1. What Index Futures Are A futures contract is a highly leveraged derivative investment that is transacted by hedgers , speculators and arbitrageurs . The contract represents an obligation on the part of the seller to deliver an asset to the buyer in exchange for a predetermined price.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV