Credit Worries Wallop Stocks
However, it wasn't all bad, despite the pullback. AT&T (T) was better than expected on the profit line, as were Lockheed Martin (LMT) and CME (CME). While AT&T and CME declined, Lockheed Martin shot higher by 3.6% to $103.09.
Pepsi (PEP), EMC (EMC) and McGraw-Hill (MHP) were also better than expected, as were UAL (UAUA) and Northrop Grumman (NOC). UAL was the only name in the group to finish with gains, ending higher by 4.2% for the session.
Dow stock McDonald's (MCD) posted only its second-ever quarterly loss. Excluding items, the restaurant chain matched the forecast for a profit of 71 cents a share. Shares slipped 95 cents, or 1.8%, to finish at $51.55.On the research front, Citigroup upgraded Wachovia (WB) to buy from hold, citing valuation. Still, shares closed lower by 41 cents, or 0.8%, to $48.41. Among downgrades, Jefferies cut both United Rentals (URI) and GlobalSantaFe (GSF) to hold from buy. United Rentals was off by 56 cents, or 1.7%, to $32.42. GlobalSantaFe ended down 73 cents, or 0.9%, to $77.60. On Monday, both stocks made M&A headlines and gave the major averages a boost. Transocean (RIG) said it will combine with GlobalSantaFe to form a driller with an enterprise value of $53 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV