Credit Worries Wallop Stocks
However, it wasn't all bad, despite the pullback. AT&T (T) was better than expected on the profit line, as were Lockheed Martin (LMT) and CME (CME). While AT&T and CME declined, Lockheed Martin shot higher by 3.6% to $103.09.
Pepsi (PEP), EMC (EMC) and McGraw-Hill (MHP) were also better than expected, as were UAL (UAUA) and Northrop Grumman (NOC). UAL was the only name in the group to finish with gains, ending higher by 4.2% for the session.
Dow stock McDonald's (MCD) posted only its second-ever quarterly loss. Excluding items, the restaurant chain matched the forecast for a profit of 71 cents a share. Shares slipped 95 cents, or 1.8%, to finish at $51.55.On the research front, Citigroup upgraded Wachovia (WB) to buy from hold, citing valuation. Still, shares closed lower by 41 cents, or 0.8%, to $48.41. Among downgrades, Jefferies cut both United Rentals (URI) and GlobalSantaFe (GSF) to hold from buy. United Rentals was off by 56 cents, or 1.7%, to $32.42. GlobalSantaFe ended down 73 cents, or 0.9%, to $77.60. On Monday, both stocks made M&A headlines and gave the major averages a boost. Transocean (RIG) said it will combine with GlobalSantaFe to form a driller with an enterprise value of $53 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV