Sony's PS3 Price Cut Sparks Sales
Sony's (SNE) $100 price cut to its PlayStation 3 video game console seems to be paying off.
Although the device continues to be outsold by Nintendo's (NTDOY) Wii, sales of the PS3 are picking up in the U.S., according to data from research firm NPD.
PS3 sales in June were up 21% from May to 98,469 devices sold, NPD said.
And since the new $499 price for the PS3 was announced two weeks ago, sales have increased more than 135% at the company's top five retailers, said Sony.Total PlayStation hardware sales increased 161%, software sales increased 15% and peripherals sales grew 60% in the two-week period since the price drop was announced on July 9, said Sony. Still, Nintendo has little to fear. The company sold 381,800 Wiis last month and also dominated the software charts with six of the top 10 games belonging to one of Nintendo's devices. Rival Microsoft (MSFT) sold 198,400 Xbox 360s, and the company's Forza Motorsport 2 game came in fifth on the charts with 197,400 copies sold in June. In addition to being outsold by its rivals, the PS3 continues to struggle against its earlier generation. Sony's older PlayStation 2 console remaind strong and sold 270,763 devices last month. The overall PlayStation brand, including PS2 and PS3, showed a 21% increase in total retail dollars generated year-over-year in North America with sales of $393 million, Sony Computer Entertainment America said in a statement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV