Three Foreign Stock Plays on U.S. Soil
Sometimes finding a winning foreign stock is as simple as reciting "A ... D ... R."
An ADR, short for American depositary receipt, offers U.S. investors the opportunity to diversify into international markets without the bother of purchasing shares on overseas exchanges. ADRs are issued by U.S. banks that hold actual shares of a foreign company's stock.
"It's easier to purchase ADRs than to shop on local exchanges," says Mark Coffelt, portfolio manager for the $75 million (EMCAX) Empiric Core Equity fund. "You don't have to deal with currencies or foreign intermediaries, and there is more than enough of a selection to choose from, with over 800 ADRs on the NYSE alone."Coffelt can be considered an expert on buying foreign stocks without ever leaving home. More than 60% of his go-anywhere, multi-cap fund is composed of ADRs, and it's a strategy that has served him especially well over the past five years as international stocks have soared past their U.S. counterparts. Coffelt's fund is up 13.7% year to date, over 4.5 percentage points more than the S&P 500, and the fund is up 22.6% annually over the past five years, besting the index by 8.3% per year on average.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV