iPhone Sales: Your Guess Is as Good as Anyone's
(Editor's note: To access some of these stories, registration or a subscription may be required. Please check the individual links for the site's policy.)
The Business Press Maven is writing this from a small rocky island off the long rocky coast of Maine, where yesterday he bore witness to an island-wide fish face competition. Islanders made fish faces, some quite convincing, for prizes and -- of course -- bragging rights.
I tell you this because purposeful goofiness has a rightful place in life, but misplaced goofiness -- like the kind we saw earlier this month when Apple (AAPL) released the iPhone and the professionals in the business media could not even agree on what expectations were for sales, let alone what the sales themselves were -- should not. Well, come this Wednesday, when Apple reports, we'll finally know how many iPhones sold in those first days after they hit the shelves.
So let's wager, both for fun and in search of a larger truth for investors.How many iPhones do you think sold in those first two days? Email me. And don't email me a range; I'll crumple it up and send it back to you. I want a specific number. The winner will get The Business Press Maven's "Greg Stroh Award," named for the Toronto-based reader who suggested this contest. You will earn, uh, bragging rights, and Greg suggests that you also get to refer to yourself in the third person as "iAnalyst" for a day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV