Thursday's ETF Winners & Losers
Following Thursday's close, IBM said it had a second-quarter profit of $1.50 a share, excluding a gain from the sale of its printing division, which beat the Thomson Financial average estimate by 3 cents a share. Shares of IBM were up more than 4%. Meanwhile, Juniper surged 12% after the networking company raised its sales forecast.
The Internet Architecture HOLDRs was recently up $1.37, or 2.7%, to $51.58.
The Software HOLDRs (SWH) ETF also benefited from strong tech earnings results. German business software giant SAP (SAP), which is one of the ETF's holdings, saw second-quarter revenue and operating income jump 10%, and shares rose 7%. The ETF was recently up $1.06, or 2.5%, to $42.94.Bundled securities tracking utilities were also among the winners of the day. Among individual names, Exelon (EXC), FirstEnergy (FE) and FPL Group (FPL) were higher by 1.7% or more. The Ultra Utilities ProShares (UPW) was rising $2.78, or 3.3%, to $85.98. The PowerShares FTSE RAFI Utilities (PRFU) was adding $1.15, or 2%, to $60.07. The Utilities Select Sector SPDR (XLU) gained 46 cents, or 1.1%, to $40.96. On the losing side, health care-related bundled securities were losing ground, pressured by a second-quarter revenue miss by UnitedHealth Group (UNH). The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Healthcare Provider (IHF) was recently down 71 cents, or 1.2%, to $59.64. The Health Care Select Sector SPDR (XLV) was losing 30 cents, or 0.8%, to $35.45. While most tech earnings results were benefiting ETFs, concerns about online operations hampered eBay's (EBAY) stock following its second-quarter earnings report. eBay, which is a holding of the Internet HOLDRs (HHH), was recently down 1.5%. The ETF was shedding 65 cents, or 1.1%, to $60.90.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV