Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks locked in with the buoyant broad market Thursday, and a couple of tech stocks were leading the charge with positive earnings releases.
Avici Systems (AVCI), a networking-equipment maker based in North Billerica, Mass., leapt 40.7% to $11.85 after non-GAAP second-quarter earnings totaled $12.7 million, or 86 cents a share, on revenue of $29.6 million. Last year the firm earned just 62 cents a share; the analyst who follows the company had sought 21 cents a share on $15.8 million in sales, according to Thomson Financial.
Core-system-software company Phoenix Technologies (PTEC), of Milpitas, Calif., jumped 10.9% to $9.88 after narrowing its fiscal third-quarter loss by more than tenfold to 7 cents a share, year over year.
Meanwhile, Badger Meter (BMI) -- which makes flow-measurement and control technologies -- flattened second-quarter estimates. The Milwaukee firm earned $5.7 million from continuing operations, or 39 cents a share -- 11 cents more per share than what analysts had expected. Shares ratcheted up $4.83, or 15.5%, to $35.91, in support of the Russell 2000, which was 0.7% higher at 852.13.Elsewhere, Ohio's Core Molding Technologies (CMT) said it had repurchased 3.6 million of its shares from major holder International Truck and Engine -- 35% of its total shares outstanding -- and EDO (EDO) received military orders for another 3,000 "CREW 2.1" vehicle-mounted electronic jammers that counter radio-controlled improvised explosive devices. The order, which constitutes an option exercise under a prior contract, is worth $210 million. The products will be delivered by August.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV