Cramer: Traders Are Missing It on These Stocks
This column was originally published on RealMoney on July 19 at 10:58 a.m. EDT. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers. For more information about subscribing to RealMoney, please click here.
Count the wrong assumptions on a daily basis. Altria (MO) reports an outstanding quarter, after a series of disappointments, but the stock goes down yesterday, and people say it is a bad quarter.
Intel (INTC) disappoints. Why? Because it can't charge enough for its microprocessors because of a price war, but it says that the demand, particularly for notebooks, is incredibly strong.
So what happens? Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), which is the notebook king and a huge supplier of microprocessors, goes down!American Standard (ASD) finalizes the break-up plans -- they look great -- management is energized to create value, and one of the divisions, kitchens and baths, slips, and it gets hammered. Who the heck cares? The company won't even exist as it is next quarter. Clearwire opens in the $20s, it is loved, it goes to $16, it is hated, and then the technology gains adherent after adherent because Craig McCaw is such a winner, so it doubles. So many people take their cues from a wacky stock market and the short-term price moves, rather than from their own counsel. Drives me nuts. For two weeks I had to hear about how something was wrong with International Game Technology (IGT). Nope. There was nothing wrong, just a bunch of stupid, fearful sellers operating at the same time. I am telling you that everyone who is betting against NYX (NYX) because it will buy Nymex (NMX) and it will pay too much will be dead wrong, and that stock will be proven to be ridiculously undervalued. Take your cue not from the price movements but from the conviction you have. If you don't have conviction, don't own.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV