Intel Tarnishes Turnaround Story
Like an old race horse, Intel (INTC) continues to frustrate investors betting on its comeback.
Just as the chipmaker appeared to be on track to recapture its former glory, Intel's second-quarter results have left investors wringing their hands and heading for the exits.
Shares of Intel sank 5%, or $1.31, to $25.01 in midday trading Wednesday.
The main cause of consternation is Intel's gross profit margin, which came in at 46.9% -- the lowest level in years and short of Intel's own target of 48%.Missing gross margins by about 1 percentage point isn't the end of the world. But the context of the margin weakness, which occurred during Intel's first quarter of year-on-year revenue growth since the end of 2005, was a red flag for some investors. "The bottom line here is, for semiconductor stocks you expect revenue and unit upside to lead to margin upside," says one investor. The margin weakness calls into question the shape of Intel's recovery. "You have to figure out what is the long-term model for the company," says the investor, speaking anonymously because he said he was trading Intel shares. "If we're dealing with margins that are going to peak in the mid-50s, that's a little different than a company with margins that peaked in the low 60s."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV