Ready for the Fox Dow Jones Industrials?
But the possibility touches on a bigger point. Unless you look at what Dow Jones can do for the rest of Murdoch's empire, his bid makes no financial sense whatsoever.
Sure, The Wall Street Journal is a vanity asset, like owning the New York Yankees. But The economics of the newspaper industry are terrible and getting worse. And at these prices, a man like Murdoch is going to make his asset pay.
Just look at the numbers: When you include Dow Jones' $1.2 billion in net debt, the deal would cost News Corp. about $6.2 billion.
You have to figure he would insist on earning at least a 7.2% annualized return, which is the approximate yield right now on News Corp. bonds. That means the takeover would have to generate profits of about $450 million a year.Dow Jones' operating income for the last three years? Try $135 million in 2004, $96 million in 2005 and $105 million in 2006. If you see anything that looks remotely like $450 million in operating income, let me know. It's unclear so far how much he'd pay in cash and how much in new equity. Or whether he'd look to sell some assets quickly to reduce the initial cost. But that won't change the underlying logic. As a stand-alone asset, Dow Jones can't generate anything close to enough to justify this price. No wonder that even in today's fevered buyout market, when any company with a pulse can attract a swarm of
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV