Tuesday's Health Winners & Losers
On the other end, Metabasis Therapeutics (MBRX) lost $3.91, or 56.7%, to $2.99 after disappointing phase II results from type 2 diabetes candidate and news that Schering-Plough (SGP) terminated its drug development agreement with the company on a hepatitis B treatment.
On the earnings front, Medtox Scientific (MTOX) lost $5.66, or 21.2%, to $21.02. The company reported net income for the quarter ended June 30 of $1.8 million, or 20 cents a share, compared to $1.3 million, or 15 cents a share, in the year-ago period. The Thomson Financial consensus target was 22 cents a share for the quarter.
Additionally in earnings, Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) reported earnings of $3.1 billion, or $1.05 a share, for the quarter in comparison to $2.9 billion, or 98 cents a share, in 2006, and the Thomson Financial consensus target of $1 a share. Shares of the company, however, were down $1.17, or 1.8%, to $62.64.Forest Labs (FRX) earned $268 million, or 83 cents a share, in the quarter ended June 30, compared to $200 million, or 62 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter. The company beat the consensus target of 77 cents a share, but was down 88 cents, or 1.9%, to $45.79.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV