Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Q.E.P. (QEPC), a maker of tools for flooring and tiling, saw its shares soar amid extremely active trading in the wake of the company's latest quarterly report. First-quarter earnings rose to $900,000, or 23 cents a share, from $300,000 and 8 cents a share in the year-ago period.
Sales rose to nearly $57 million from $54 million last year. Those results carried the stock up 65% recently to $10.63.
Meanwhile, positive comments from a Wall Street research firm lifted shares of STEC (STEC) 18.1% to $8.49.
STEC, a seller of computer memory and data-storage products, was upgraded by CIBC to sector outperform and given a $9 price target. The firm also raised its earnings estimates for 2008. Volume in the stock was heavy.HandHeld Entertainment (ZVUE), a digital-entertainment company, was rising 17.7% to $2.06 after it announced the release of the ZVUE 260, its third-generation, value-priced MP3 video player. The 260 will be available for purchase at Walmart.com Tuesday with a manufacturer's suggested retail price of less than $100. Sonesta International Hotels (SNSTA) rose on word that Mercury Real Estate Advisors, the owner of 9.8% of its stock, is pushing for a sale of the company. Last month, Sonesta said it was examining its strategic options. The stock was up 16.7% to $47.24.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV