Plains Exploration Picks Up Pogo Producing
Pogo shareholders will receive 0.68201 shares of Plains stock and $24.88 in cash for each share they hold. Based on Plains' closing price Monday, the deal values Pogo at $60 a share -- a 19% premium over its close of $50.48 Monday.
Plains said the transaction will create a company with total estimated reserve potential of 1.4 billion barrels of oil equivalent.
"This transaction almost doubles PXP's production with the addition of substantial producing properties and significant growth potential in Texas, primarily the Panhandle, Permian and Gulf Coast, plus the prolific Madden Field in Wyoming and the San Juan Basin in New Mexico," said Plains Chairman, President and CEO James Flores in a statement.Flores said the company has financial advisers to help it evaluate the possibility of becoming a master limited partnership, a common structure for oil and gas companies. The deal is expected to close in the fourth quarter. Shares of Plains were down $1.69, or 3.3%, to $49.50 in early trading. Pogo shares soared $7.22, or 14%, to $57.70.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV