Monday's Financial Winners & Losers
Updated from 2:20 p.m. EDT
Financial stocks generally tracked higher than the mixed broader market indices Monday, and one of the biggest winners was small-cap Lakeland Financial (LKFN), which reported an increase in second-quarter earnings.
The Indiana bank posted earnings of $5.3 million, or 42 cents a share, vs. $4.8 million, or 39 cents a share, in the prior-year period. The stock closed $1.42, or 7.1%, higher at $21.49.
Also tracking higher on positive earnings results was Carolina Bank Holdings (CLBH), which reported a jump in second-quarter earnings late Friday. The North Carolina-based bank posted earnings of $837,000, or 25 cents a share, up from $678,000 or 20 cents a share, a year ago. Shares was up 25 cents, or 2%, at $12.60.Feeling a downdraft from quarterly results, however, was another North Carolina bank -- Peoples Bancorp of North Carolina (PEBK), which saw a drop in earnings per share. The parent company of Peoples Bank posted earnings of $2.6 million, or 44 cents a share, as compared to $2.7 million, or 46 cents a share, in the prior-year period. The stock was 4.8% lower at $18.81. Mercer Insurance Group (MIGP), which had surged 8.6% Friday, gave backmost of that gain Monday. On Friday, Loeb Partners had filed a 13D with the Securities and Exchange Commission in which the activist investment fund disclosed it had acquired more than 5% of the small-cap New Jersey-based insurance company. In that filing, Loeb called for the sale or complete liquidation of Mercer, but Loeb filed an amended 13D, stating that inclusion of this language was "inadvertent" and was "not the intent of Loeb and its affiliates." The stock gave back $1.57, or 7.3%, to $20.02 Monday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV