Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small stocks were tracking generally higher than the major indices Wednesday, with several small-cap energy names delivering upside on positive news.
Eagle Rock Energy (EROC) was climbing more than 8% on news the natural gas company will invest a total of $420 million on expansion. Its three acquisitions include $220 million for Escambia Asset and its 33 wells in Alabama and $180 million for 171 wells in Texas from Redman Energy. Based on the deals, Eagle Rock expects to increase its annual dividend by 3 cents to 35 cents, for a dividend of as much as $1.57 per year. Shares were up $1.98 at $25.99.
Another natural gas explorer, McMoRan Exploration (MMR), was also climbing on news of a well discovery. The New Orleans company said drillings at its Flatrock well "indicate a potential major discovery." Shares were up $1.34, or 8.9%, at $16.35.
Oilsands Quest (BQI) was surging 10% to $2.97 after the exploration company estimated the resource potential of its oil sands exploration permits in northwest Saskatchewan and northeast Alberta at 10 billion barrels of bitumen.Energy names weren't the only dominant forces in the small-cap space, however. Earnings drove stocks in various sectors both higher and lower. Among the biggest earnings winners was Jewett-Cameron Trading (JCTCF), shares of which climbed 30%, after the lumber company reported a surge in third-quarter earnings. Jewett generated net income of $757,000, or 32 cents a share, on sales of $20.9 million. In the third quarter last year, the company reported earnings of $561,000, or 24 cents a share, on $20.6 million in revenue. Shares were $2.23 higher at $10.18.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV