Send Your 8-Year-Old to Business School
One of the most successful graduates of NFTE's BizCamp program is Omar Faruk, 19. Faruk has formed several Internet businesses, including BlueStreamCorp, which helps start-ups and nonprofit organizations build Web sites. Faruk started BlueStreamCorp when he was only 16 years old.
Back then, he says, people did not take him that seriously. But he didn't focus on that; rather, he immersed himself in his business by doing everything from getting clients over the phone and designing the Web site to managing accounts.
Nadia Campbell, 23, another graduate of NFTE's courses, started her own nonprofit organization, Victorian Hands Foundation, which promotes intergenerational partnerships between the elderly and youth volunteers.
NFTE taught Campbell many skills in areas like organization, finances, team building, networking and experience. It also gave her the opportunity to attend several industry conferences, such as a nonprofit boot camp run through Craigslist.Corporate sponsors in the financial realm, including Goldman Sachs (GS) and Oppenheimer (OPY), also support NFTE -- the program's graduates are primed for a strong future in the business world. In addition, there are ways to help kids online on their journey through entrepreneurship. Kids4Kids is an information center and search engine, for kids and by kids, and has information for youths who want to start their own businesses. Here, young entrepreneurs can learn about financing and ownership or even sign up for a "Wall Street for Kids" newsletter, which explains the basics of companies and investing. The phrase "wait until you're older" is no longer valid. It's possible to start a business at any age; all young businesspeople need is a dream and a bit of persistence.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV