The Lure of Power Boats
|The LM 30 Jet Drive|
It's no accident that American realist painter Andrew Wyeth knocked off "Christina's World" just seven miles down the road.
But honestly, I come to Maine for the boats.
Not those cute little retro sailing schooners that ply tourists with a taste of Maine's great sailing past -- I want the big, fast, world-class, ultra-high-tech yachts that are coming from these rugged shores.
Maine boat-building is positively chic.
There are many storied builders turning out excellent boats. The
More traditional craft come from
Even lobster boating has gone upscale.Young Brothers, from up past Mount Desert Island in the hardcore fishing town of Corea, is now finishing its traditional lobster boats -- the ones you see on all the postcards -- in fancier cruising trims. These boats may look old-school, but they fly. A Young Brothers 30-footer holds what is probably the outright speed record for a boat of this type: A blistering 64 mph. But I am particularly partial to what one yard is doing with high-tech yacht construction: the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV