Tuesday's Health Winners & Losers
Also moving higher was Corcept Therapeutics (CORT), which said Monday after market close that it received orphan drug designation from the Food and Drug Administration for Cushing's Syndrome treatment Corlux.
The designation includes seven years of marketing exclusivity from the date of the drug approval, tax credits for the clinical trial costs, marketing filing fee waivers, and assistance in the drug development process from the FDA. It's designed to encourage companies to develop treatments for diseases or conditions affecting fewer than 200,000 patients in the U.S. Corcept rose 19 cents, or 7.6%, to $2.68.
Elsewhere, moving its prospective merger along, Genzyme (GENZ) said it finished its tender offer to acquire the shares of Bioenvision (BIVN). On May 29, the company agreed to acquire Bioenvision in an all-cash transaction of around $345 million, or $5.60 for each outstanding common share and $11.20 for each outstanding preferred share. According to the agreement, Bioenvision will now prepare a proxy statement for its shareholders. The companies expect a merger vote before the end of the year.
Genzyme was down 95 cents, or 1.6%, to $58.86, while Bioenvision edged down 5 cents, or 0.8%, to $5.90 on Tuesday.Also moving lower on continued merger prospects was eye-care product maker Bausch & Lomb (BOL), whose shares were 1.6% lower at $70.21. The company has filed with regulators to hold a special shareholder meeting to vote on a $65-a-share cash takeover bid by Warburg Pincus. However, Bausch & Lomb said it remains in talks Advanced Medical Optics (EYE), which last week offered $75 a share in cash and stock. Shares of Advanced Medical Optics were also lower, down 1.7% at $34.32.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV