Look to Europe for Mutual Fund Profits
Stock markets around the world have been on a tear over the past few years. But now that the bull runs in the U.S. and in many emerging-market economies are beginning to look tired, investors may want to turn to the Old World.
Yes, Europe has had nice run as well. But the economy isn't as far along in the economic cycle as the U.S., and many European companies are still undervalued, relative to their U.S. counterparts. So the rally should still have some legs, say some fund managers.
"The European economy is accelerating as the U.S. economy slows," says Clas Olsson, co-lead manager of the $1.62 billion (AEDEX)AIM European Growth Fund (AEDEX).
Olsson points out that the price-to-earnings ratio of the Stoxx 600, which represents 600 large-, mid- and small-cap companies across 18 European countires, is just 14, on the basis of earnings estimates for 2007. That compares with a P/E of 16 for the S&P 500.
|Do you continue to see opportunity in the European stock market?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV