10 Steps to a Healthy Retirement
7. Establish a goal: Once you have established an account and are contributing to it on a monthly basis, make a goal of when you'd like to retire. You can use this calculator to help you figure out how much you will need to contribute to reach your goal.
8. Don't get discouraged: Your retirement goal probably is not possible with your current retirement contributions. Don't be discouraged. It will take time to build up the amount you contribute, and it won't happen overnight. Many people look at the numbers and give up, but this is the worst thing you can do. Doing nothing will not help the situation, and the fact that you have started to make contributions is the first step in reaching your retirement goal.
9. Start a small business: If you find that you are far behind in your retirement savings, consider starting a part-time home business. If successful, you will not only increase your income, but owning a small business can give you a number of quality tax breaks. In addition, it gives you the opportunity to open a Simplified Employee Pension plan (SEP). You should talk with your personal financial planner to see if this is a viable option for you to increase your retirement savings.
10. Brainstorm ways to increase contributions: There are a number of ways that you can either save or earn extra money to add to your retirement savings. Take the time to think of ways that you can increase the amount of your contributions to reach the retirement goal you have. While this will entail effort today, it will be well worth the reward when you reach retirement.Here are a few places you can start that should save you enough money to begin your retirement fund:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV