10 Steps to a Healthy Retirement
Procrastination is the greatest obstacle to most people accumulating a healthy, well-funded retirement account.
There are hundreds of excuses you can use to explain why you aren't saving for retirement, but none of them are going to help when you turn 65. The truth is, most people can save for retirement with just a little bit of organization and self-discipline.
Here are the basic steps that you need to take today to ensure you have enough retirement savings:
1. Begin today: No matter what your age, the time to start saving for retirement is now. Decide today and commit to it. The longer you postpone saving for retirement, the more difficult it will in your later years. Time and compound interest are your friend, which means the sooner you begin, the less painful it will be.2. Start saving any amount: The amount you start with really doesn't matter. It's the process of placing money aside for retirement that is the important habit you want to establish. Choose as big an amount that you feel comfortable setting aside. If you don't feel that you can afford anything, force yourself to place aside a small amount, even if it is only $50, $25 or even $10 to begin. Once you get into the habit of placing money into your retirement account, you should find it possible to increase this amount over time.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV