Apple's iPhone Misses Sales Targets
Apple's (AAPL) iPhone missed a 1 million unit sales target and rivals are rejoicing.
While the much-hyped phone helped AT&T (T) take a big bite out of its competitors' business, industry observers say effects are far from deadly.
Analysts estimate somewhere between 200,000 and 700,000 iPhones have been sold since the debut blitz started Friday evening. And about half of the sales came by winning customers from Sprint (S), Verizon Wireless -- co-owned by Verizon (VZ) and Vodafone (VOD) -- and T-Mobile, the U.S. unit of Deutche Telekom (DT).
The sales goal -- or so-called whisper number -- both internally at Apple and on Wall Street was a nice round 1 million phones.Missing this hugely ambitious target is hardly a failure, but competitors in the wireless sector are certainly breathing a little easier. "There's a lot of rejoicing at Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile," says IAG Research's Roger Entner. "By not selling out, it is still a solid success, but it also proved that not everyone in the country is willing to drop $600 on a new phone." "For the other carriers, it's not a game changer. It's business as usual again," says Entner. Sprint shares are up 60 cents, or nearly 3% since the iPhone's debut, and Verizon is up about $1, or 2% in that same time period, as investors buy into a mini-relief rally.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV