Thursday's ETF Winners & Losers
The Internet Infrastructure HOLDRs (IIH) exchange-traded fund was the best performer of Thursday's session, as the volatile software sector turned higher.
ETFs tracking silver and gold were also among the winners, as silver futures rose by 24 cents to $12.57 an ounce and gold futures gained $7 to $651.80 an ounce.
The PowerShares DB Silver (DBS) ETF was higher by 44 cents, or 1.8%, to $24.61. The iShares Silver Trust (SLV) was up $1.66, or 1.4%, to $123.76. The PowerShares DB Gold (DGL) added 35 cents, or 1.4%, to $25.76.On the other hand, housing-related ETFs were among the worst losers of the day. Earlier, KB Homes (KBH) said it swung to a second-quarter loss due to lower demand and dwindling home prices. Among other housing concerns, Beazer Homes (BZH) was losing 7.8%, DR Horton (DHI) was down 1.6%, Centex (CTX) eased 1.7% and Lennar (LEN) was lower by 1.6%. The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Home Construction (ITB) was recently falling by 51 cents, or 1.5%, at $31.83. The SPDR Homebuilders (XHB) was down 39 cents, or 1.2%, to $30.93. The United States Natural Gas (UNG) ETF was also slumping, due to a larger-than-expected build in natural gas inventories. Earlier, the Energy Department said that natural gas supplies rose by 99 billion cubic feet last week, sending natural gas lower by 5.3% to $6.71, a two-year low. The United States Natural Gas ETF was losing $2.45, or 5%, to $43.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV