Wednesday's ETF Winners & Losers
Bundled securities tracking semiconductors were among the top performers Wednesday, as several chipmaker stocks supported a 0.4% advance in the Nasdaq Composite.
The Ultra Semiconductor ProShares (USD) was adding $2.97, or 3.6%, to $85.02. The PowerShares Dynamic Semiconductors (PSI) was rising 34 cents, or 1.8%, to $19.57. The Semiconductor HOLDRs (SMH) ETF was up 64 cents, or 1.7%, higher at $38.39. The SPDR S&P Semiconductor (XSD) was recently up 37 cents, or 0.7%, to $53.46.
ETFs tracking the retail sector were also among the winners of Wednesday's session, courtesy of a jump in Best Buy (BBY). The electronics retailer added nearly 4% after announcing a new stock buyback plan of $5.5 billion. Best Buy said it will raise its quarterly dividend by 30% to 13 cents, in addition to the company's plans of opening another 400 stores in North America.Other retail names were also on the rise. Kohl's (KSS) gained 2.6%, CVS (CVS) added 2.2%, Kroger (KR) was up 2.1%, RadioShack (RSH) was gaining 1.8%, The SPDR S&P Retail (XRT) was higher by 80 cents, or 1.9%, to $43.58. The Retail HOLDRs (RTH) was adding 88 cents, or 0.9%, to $104.72. The PowerShares Dynamic Consumer Discretionary (PEZ) tacked on 29 cents, or 1%, to $28.30. On the flip side, insurance-related bundled securities were among few losers of the session. Among insurers, Progressive (PGR) and AIG (AIG) were easing 1.3%, and both Hartford Financial Services (HIG) and The Chubb Corporation (CB) slumped 0.8%. The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Insurance (IAK) was losing 47 cents, or 0.8%, to $55.64. The PowerShares Dynamic Insurance (PIC) was down 11 cents, or 0.6%, to $18.91.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV