Altria Shakes Up Production
Altria Group (MO) disclosed plans to shutter its Cabarrus, N.C., cigarette plant and transfer production for Philip Morris International to facilities in Europe.
The cost savings will be felt starting next year. By 2011, estimated annual savings should be around $335 million. Cumulative expenses are expected to be about $670 million, with roughly $353 million going toward employee separation.
Philip Morris USA will take a pretax charge of $325 million, or 10 cents a share, in the second quarter.
The Cabarrus plant has about 2,500 employees, and as many as possible will be moved to another Philip Morris location in Richmond, Va. Workers who don't transfer will be offered severance packages. The Cabarrus plant is expected to be closed by the end of 2010.Currently, Cabarrus produces about 57 billion cigarettes for Philip Morris International, and that output will shift to Europe by the third quarter of 2008. Richmond will be responsible for making cigarettes sold in the U.S. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV