Monday's Financial Winners & Losers
Updated from 1:50 p.m. EDT
Financial stocks bounced higher to recover from some of Friday's steep losses as the sector was lifted by positive analyst notes and Freedom Acquisition Holdings (FRH), which leapt 7% to $11.18 after announcing a reverse $3.4 billion merger with Britain-based GLG Partners.
Freedom agreed to pay $1 billion in cash and 230 million of its shares in order to form a publicly traded company called GLG, of which Freedom holders will own about a 28% stake (per Freedom's closing price Friday). Current GLG holders have also agreed to reinvest about half of their after-tax cash proceeds into GLG's funds on closing, which should occur early in the fourth quarter.
New York-based Amtrust Financial (AFSI) jumped 2.4% to $18.70 after the insurance broker agreed to buy a Florida-based workers' compensation insurer, Associated Industries Insurance, for $41.2 million.Meanwhile, Friedman Billings raised both Meadowbrook Insurance (MIG) and First Community Bancorp (FCBP) to outperform, boosting shares of each, by 5.9% and 1.4% respectively. Cleveland's National City (NCC) tacked on 1.9% to $33.77 on an upgrade to hold from sell at A.G. Edwards. Broker Morgan Stanley (MS) closed down 6 cents to $84.54. Insurer Conseco (CNO) was up 36 cents to $20.87. Pawnshop operator Cash America International (CSH) was up $1.04 to $39.97.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV