Friday's ETF Winners & Losers
Energy-related exchange-traded funds were among few winners Friday, as crude oil rose to a near 10-month high amidst more fears of a strike in Nigeria.
The front-month crude contract was recently up 67 cents to $69.32 a barrel. Gasoline was adding 2 cents at $2.27 a gallon.
The iPath S&P Crude Oil Index (OIL) ETF was gaining 46 cents, or 1.2%, to $38.40. The PowerShares DB Oil (DBO) was up 23 cents, or 0.9%, to $27.14. The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Oil Equipment Index (IEZ) was higher by 54 cents, or 0.9%, to $59.02.
The Internet Infrastructure HOLDRs (IIH) was also higher thanks to gains in two of its holdings. VeriSign (VRSN) and BEA Systems (BEAS) were both rising more than 1%. The ETF was gaining 3 cents, or 0.5%, to $5.56.On the other hand, housing-related ETFs were among the biggest losers of the day. Among housing concerns, Pulte Homes (PHM) was down 1.6%, Beazer Homes (BZH) was losing 1.6%, Toll Brothers (TOL) eased 1.4% and Lennar (LEN) was lower by 1%. The SPDR Homebuilders (XHB) ETF was down 62 cents, or 1.9%, to $31.78. The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Home Construction (ITB) ETF was recently falling by 59 cents, or 1.8%, at $32.86. Bundled securities tracking utilities were also among the losers of the session. Among individual names, Southern Co. (SO), Public Service Enterprise Group (PEG) and Entergy (ETR) fell by 1.8% or more. The Ultra Utilities ProShares (UPW) was falling by $1.79, or 2.2%, to $79. The Utility HOLDRs (UTH) was off $1.82, or 1.4%, to $140.09. The Vanguard Utilities ETF (VPU) eased 93 cents, or 1.4%, to $82.08.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV